This nearly 3 year old brewery based in Camas, Washington has reveled in the Portland-Metro area’s love for clean and potent IPAs, as well as creating a number of classic, award-winning Lager styles. With a heavy metal esthetic, deliciously paired food options, all in a family friendly space, GoW continues to push the boundaries of what brewing and the brewpub experience can be.
The founding of Grains of Wrath (commonly known as GoW) began with two of it’s four founders meeting at Caps N’ Taps, a local watering hole and bottle shop in downtown Camas. It’s former owner, Brendan Greenen and then Head Brewer at Fat Head’s Brewery location in Portland, Mike Hunsaker – a Camas resident, fast became friends and hatched a plan for their own brewery in 2016. Soon they would link up with local entrepreneurs Shawn Parker and Brendan Ford, owners of Fuel Medical, and the wheels were set in motion. With Greenen managing operations and Hunsaker planning brewery production, the co-owners went to work on opening a brewpub in a former auto-shop in the heart of downtown Camas.
Before arriving in Portland, Hunsaker and assistant brewer Owen Lamb were brewing at Fat Head’s in Cleveland, then in 2014 moved west to assist with the opening of the new location. In February of 2017, Hunsaker left Fat Head’s new outpost to begin work on the new brewpub in Camas. After a brief stint as a Cellarmen at Breakside Brewery, Lamb joined GoW as Lead Brewer to work alongside Head Brewer and Co-Owner Hunsaker at the Camas location. Opening the first weekend of March 2018, the brewpub was received with abundant fanfare, not only due to Hunsaker’s success at Fat Head’s, but also as a much needed late-night escape for food, cocktails, and beer in the small community of Camas.
In addition in the much heralded West Coast IPAs Hunsaker’s known for, GoW’s 10 bbl Camas brewhouse has been conjuring up acclaimed classic Lagers, including their twice GABF medal-winning Vienna Lager. Then, only 3 months after opening their Camas location, GoW scored six medals at the 2018 Washington Beer Awards and was proclaimed Very Small Brewery of the Year, then returned in 2019 to win 5 more medals. Most notable in their success is the variety of categories they’ve medaled in, including Hefeweizen, Belgian Strong Dark Ale, Pilsner, Pale Ale, plus the aforementioned Vienna Lager and West Coast IPA styles.
In October of 2020, GoW opened their second location, occupying the former Lompoc Brewing Sidebar and the adjoining brewhouse in Portland’s North Williams neighborhood. This new brewpub not only afforded them an opportunity to better supply the demands of the Portland market with it’s 15 bbl brewhouse, but also more space for canning, a full bar, beer-to-go, plus a variety of eats which will resume soon. Not long after opening, Joe Lisica, formerly with Vancouver’s Brothers Cascadia Brewing, joined Grains of Wrath to take on the role of Lead Brewer at the Portland location.
As we approach the third anniversary of Grains of Wrath, which is also year three of working with us at Day One, we’re stoked to feature some of their award winning beers, both in cans and on draft. Here’s a break down of what’s out in stores and on draft now, plus anticipated releases in the run-up to their anniversary in March.
Recently Released and Already on Shelves/Draft:
- Built for Speed IPA ~ winner 2020 GABF Gold Medal for American-style Strong Pale Ale, just canned and featuring new label art ~ Our head brewer Mike Hunsaker has had this recipe in his pocket for a while. Light and dry with flavors of tropical fruit, pine and dank grapefruit. Drinks like an old friend – 6.7%. Cans only.
- Splatter Haus ~ German-style Schwarzbier with flavors and aromas of chocolate, roast and earthy undertones finished with a light and crisp body – 5.5%. Cans & Draft.
- Crypt Keeper IPA ~ rated 99 points by Craft Beer & Brewing Magazine ~ Citra Single Hop IPA with bright flavors and aromas of citrus, grapefruit, lime and tropical fruit – 7%. Cans Only.
- Dive Bar Lager ~ Light, crush-able American-style light lager. Crisp, Divey – 4%. Cans only.
- Frost Hammer ~ Classic Helles Lager with floral Noble hop character. A crisp, smooth and clean lager – 4.6%. Draft and Cans.
- Pandemic Hazy IPA ~ Full bodied with a soft and smooth mouthfeel, Pandemic has huge, juicy hop flavors and aromas of orange marmalade, overripe Pineapple, stone fruit and papaya – 7%. Draft only.
- Dystopia IPA ~ Northwest IPA using Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic to bring flavors and aromas of pine and tropical fruit – 6.8%. Cans only. Available Next Week (2/23)!
- Hansel’s Delight ~ We’ve created a German Chocolate Cake Stout loaded with cocoa and coconut. Now you can have your cake and drink it, too – 7.6%. Draft Only. Available the first week of March.
- Ripsaw IPA ~ West Coast IPA with flavors and aromas of melon, pine, soft tropical fruit – 6.5%. Draft only. Available the first week of March.
- Overkill IPA ~ West Coast IPA with flavors of stone fruit, diesel, passion fruit, and citrus. Piney and Dank – 6.5%. Draft only. Available the first week of March.
- Spoils of War ~ West Coast Triple IPA – 10.2%. Cans and limited draft. Available the second week of March.
- Grave Dancer IPA ~ Single Hop Mosaic IPA bringing big notes of Stonefruit, Citrus and Pine – 6.8%. Cans Only. Available the second week of March.
- Vienna Lager ~ 2 time GABF and Washington Beer Awards medal winner. Classic Vienna-style Amber Lager – 5%. Draft Only. Available the second week of March.