For some breweries, the concept of community is about finding new acolytes to experience their cutting edge new releases or reveling in the unintentionally inclusive culture of beer nerds. For Orange, California’s Chapman Crafted, their endeavor has always been about embracing the community around them by not only providing a diverse array of accessible beers, but also a place to celebrate and support their neighborhood.
Chapman Crafted Beer, located in Old Towne Orange, was founded in 2016 by friends Wil Dee and Randy Nelson. Seven years prior, Dee opened Haven Craft Kitchen + Bar just down the street in the town’s central hub, the Orange Circle. Not long after Haven’s original location in Pasadena shuttered, which also featured a small brewery, Dee opened Provision’s Deli & Bottle Shop a block north of the Circle. Once Chapman Crafted opened, it only made sense that it’s head brewer would be Brian Thorson, formerly at Haven’s Pasadena location, as well as Drake’s Brewing and Trumer Brewery in the Bay Area.
Dee’s retail locations have consistently been recognized as having the best draft lists and bottle selection in Orange County, all synchronized for pairing to fine cuisine. This attention to accessibility, quality, food pairing, and variety is also reflected in Chapman Crafted Beer’s steady production of diverse offerings. It’s not often you see a brewery offering draft and canned options that include both a Nitro Red Coffee Ale and an English-style Brown, but also Hazy IPAs and five types of Lager. Considering Dee’s connection to the community as the Executive Director of the Chamber of Commerce, as well as Vice President of the Orange County Brewers Guild, it only makes sense that Chapman Crafted is dialed in to what the neighborhood desires.
In addition to their annual release of Old Towne Fest, a Märzen created for the city’s annual International Street Fair, they’re best known for their Chapman Crafted Pils and a wide variety of quality India Pale Ales. With roughly 300 unique beers created in less than 5 years, their 20 bbl brewhouse, now helmed by Head Brewer David Hall, is consistently exploring new ways to populate their 17 taps and supply distribution throughout the West Coast. In addition to beer, what’s now become Chapman Crafted Beverage Company also feature their own line of specialty coffee beans, roasted in-house and managed by Noah Poletiek.
For over 3 years now, Day One has partnered with Chapman Crafted Beer by bringing their excellent variety of delicious canned and draft options to Oregon. This time around, we’re excited to feature seven canned options which we began delivering throughout the state earlier this week:
- Chapman Crafted Pils ~ A super drinkable, delicate pilsner using German pilsner malt, Spalt and Saaz hops. Crisp, Quenching, Classic – 5.2%
- Floral Friday ~ A dry hopped Pale Lager brewed with Pilsner, 2-Row and Vienna malts. Dry hopped with Citra and Loral. An excellent shift beer – 5%.
- Kool Kid Hops ~ Double IPA with Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, Chinook & Centennial hops. Peachy – Tropical – Oh Yeah! – 8.6%.
- Still The One ~ A classic brown ale for people who enjoy a proper pint. Nutty – Toasty – Havin’ Fun – 5.5% [Not pictured above]
- Slow Riser ~ Nitro Red Ale with Ethiopia Agaro Biftu Gudina Co-op coffee – 5.1%.
- Timeless Beauty ~ A classic West Coast style IPA hopped with Centennial, Citra, Amarillo and Chinook. Citrus, pine, resin – 6.8%.
- Zodiac Series: Pisces ~ Hazy IPA with Huell Melon, and Amarillo hops – 7%
Content for this article sourced from Chapman Crafted Beer, Orange Coast Magazine, Craft Beer & Brewing, Pasadena Now, Provisions Deli & Bottle Shop, Haven Craft Kitchen + Bar, Roast Magazine.