This week we’re profiling one of the South’s most influential breweries and one of the most successful in Louisiana, Parish Brewing. With an eye toward innovation and a focus on styles that appeal to the local palates of Cajun Country, they’ve made a name for themselves with cutting edge and award-winning brews.
The founding of Parish Brewing by Andrew Godley was precipitated by time spent in Pittsburgh attending engineering school. Upon returning to Louisiana in 2005, he’d found that there just wasn’t the same kind of variety available at the time, beyond the ubiquitous Abita Beer, resulting in an ah-ha moment that would change everything.
In 2008, he kicked off his new endeavor, brewing up 50 gallon batches at a volume of around 20 kegs a week. This small setup enabled him to learn the ropes of brewing, experimenting on recipes as a self-taught home brewer, while still working full time as an engineer. While originally intending to set up shop in nearby Lafayette, he eventually landed in the SE suburb of Broussard, opening up a production facility in 2012 with the assistance of a few investors.
Their early flagship Canebrake, a Wheat Ale with locally sourced Sugarcane, was so successful and so overwhelmed the limited capacity they had at the time that it allowed them to focus on that one style and do it well. During this time and ever since, the brewery has only hired new employees without previous brewery experience. This has enabled them to think differently, experiment, and grow in a different way than other breweries.
As they continued to innovate and grow, the beginnings of the Hazy IPA were made known to Godley in the form of Alchemist’s Heady Topper. It represented a new approach in the creation of juicier styles of IPA, resulting in the first Hazy IPA to be created in the South, Ghost In The Machine Double IPA. It’s become the beer they’re known for, winnings awards internationally, as well as Wine Enthusiast’s #4 rated Beer of 2020 and Malt Couture’s 2020 Hazy Cup.
Since their founding over 10 years ago, Parish Brewing has created over 224 unique beers and in 2019 secured a gold medal for their Pure Tropics IPA at the Great American Beer Festival. Today they’re brewing in excess of 20,000 barrels annually and partially contract brew out of Florida’s Brew Hub facility.
We’re quite excited to have just received the first ever shipment of Parish Brewing to Oregon! Deliveries to bottle shops and taprooms just began this week and will continued through next week, so keep an eye out for the following cans, bottles, and draft now available:
- Attacus Atlas ~ Hazy Triple IPA ~ Obscene amounts of Australian Galaxy hops used to counter the amount of malt used to get to this high of an ABV while still keeping the bitterness down – this beer is all about aroma. With super-saturated highlights of mixed berry, mint, melon, tangerine, and pine sap, Attacus is an opulent yet approachable experience. ~ 9%. Available in 16oz cans.
- Dr. Juice ~ Hazy IPA ~ The Doctor is in. Introducing your new go-to IPA, Dr. Juice is a highly crushable juice bomb. Dry hopped with a blend of our favorite hand selected hops from the Yakima Valley. The pour glows a rich cantaloupe hue with a thick, frosted haze and soft mouthfeel. Aroma and taste is full of passion fruit, papaya, and blood orange, making it drink like a glass of freshly squeezed juice ~ 6%. Available in 12oz cans.
- Envie ~ Hazy Pale Ale ~ This delicious pale ale is juicy, hazy, and crushable. A totally new-school take on an old-school American craft beer, Envie is bursting with glorious hop aromas of mango, lychee, orange, and other tropical fruits. This beer pulls of the incredible feat of having the best juicy qualities of hops but none of the harsh, bitter finish you may be used to ~ 5%. Available in 16oz cans.
- Ghost In The Machine ~ Hazy Double IPA ~ Welcome to the future. Our collective human consciousness, or Ghost in the Machine, has gained a tolerance for hops beyond what mankind has ever known before. This double India Pale Ale is the necessary outcome. Brewed with obscene quantities of hand-selected Citra hops from our favorite farm in Yakima Valley, WA. Expect pungent grapefruit aromas and flavors, tropical fruit, and less harsh bitterness than most IIPAs ~ 8.5%. Available in 12oz bottles and limited draft.
- Greetings From Holly Beach ~ Fruited Berliner Weisse ~ A tropical, tiki-inspired Berliner Weisse loaded with pineapple, mango, passionfruit, coconut cream and toasted coconut. Hazy, tropical waves of Louisiana paradise that drinks like a vacation island favorite ~ 5.1%. Available in 16oz cans.
- Pure Tropics ~ Fruited IPA ~ 2019 GABF Gold Medal Winner. We took our favorite base IPA recipe and conditioned the beer on mango, pineapple, and pink guava purée. It is massively dry-hopped, pulpy, wet, and purely tropical ~ 7%. Available in 12oz bottles.
- Rêve ~ Coffee Stout ~ This silky smooth coffee stout is created with a carefully selected blend of specialty grade estate beans from Colombia and Java. Our friends and coffee gods at Rêve have finished them to a city/full city roast to highlight the true character of the beans and their origin prior to addition to our export strength milk stout. Enjoy any time of day, this ale will drink like a delicious cold-brewed coffee ~ 6.8%. Available in 12oz bottles.
- SIPS: Grenache Grape & Raspberry ~ Fruited Berliner Weisse ~ Lush notes of tart, raspberry-watermelon snowballs and sweet berry wine blend to create this refreshing sour. Pouring a deep magenta with a rosy head, Grenache and Raspberry is a vivacious addition to our Sips series ~ 4.8%. Available in 12oz cans.